Sunday, January 3, 2010

New #1: Start a Blog

I hate being bored. Because boredom is life being wasting. And what could be worse than that?

It's true. I'm one of those people who really tries to live life to the fullest, never leave room for regrets, and follow every other catchy phrase that helps remind me to make the most of every moment I have.

I don't know exactly where this drive came from. Maybe it's my parents' own sense of adventure that rubbed off on me. Maybe it was born simply from the fear that time and life go by too fast.

Whatever it is, this passion has led me constantly explore, discover and, well, live life big. I've done a good job of it, too.

But let's face it. This carpe diem way of living isn't always easy. Along with the joys and adventures come the necessities, like work, driving to work, winding down from work, catching up with friends, catching up on TV and catching up on the dishes. It's easy to get relaxed in the routine and lost in the comfort of it all.

So this year, 2010, I've made a promise to myself not to let that happen.

Short of leaving my husband, job and friends behind in Fort Collins and sailing a boat around the world (which sounds amazing but not so practical), I'm instead making the most of what I have right here.

My New Year's resolution is to try something new once a week for the whole year. Fifty-two something news. These mini-adventures don't have to be extravagant. They don't have to be something no one else has never done, either. In fact, this resolution may include things as plain as trying yoga or learning how to knit. Or hey, even starting my first blog ...

This mission of mine is not about going for the glory. It's just about breaking out of my norms and exploring everything that's out there, starting with the small stuff.

Franklin D. Roosevelt once said "Above all, try something," and that's exactly what I plan to do.

This way, hopefully, I'll never look back and wonder what happened to 2010, or my youth, or my life. And if nothing more, I'll have this blog and the experiences it chronicles of a time when I really did seize the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment