Friday, December 31, 2010

New #52: Fulfill a New Year's Resolution

Well here we are! New #52. Wow. And today, Dec. 31, I am very happy to say I've completed my New Year's resolution, something I've never fully accomplished in the past. What a year it has been. Honestly, I didn't think I'd make it past March or April before losing steam or running out of ideas. But that never happened. In the last few months, I did have a few weeks that were like, what other new can I do?? But whether it was something bizarre I forced myself into (like Chatroulette) or other experiences that just kinda fell in my lap (Hopi food), it always worked out.

As I warned in the beginning of all this, not every new would be earth shattering or death defying. No, instead many would have been pretty dull for most. Baking a ham, for example, is something most families do each month or even week. But for me, it was a first - and hopefully one that will start a tradition in my own family. Completing a 1000-piece puzzle, learning to knit, watching the World Cup and listening to a book on tape were also some of my news that would be boring for others. But for me, they were all fresh experiences that added something interesting to my life.

Yet while some were simple, other news were definitely worth talking about. Completing the sprint triathlon is probably the new I take most pride in. I'm still impressed with myself I was able to go all the way. Others were a little bizarre, like Dumpster diving, but something I'm glad I jumped into and plan to do again soon. The Tarot card reading, finding the Wyoming pyramid and becoming a secret shopper were also some of the most notable news. Oh, and who can forget delivering a baby!

Today, 52 weeks and 52 news later, I can honestly see what a difference this resolution has made in my life. I'm not on the couch nearly as much. I have more hobbies than I can count. And I always have something interesting to talk about over dinner. Really, this adventure has just made me a more happy person all around.

I don't know if I will continue with the weekly updates in the future. But I do know this lifestyle is something I will carry for many years to come. Taking advantage of the little adventures and new experiences life offers is the flare of living, the stuff that takes you out of the daily routines and gives everyone plenty to write about in your obituary. Now, I really do know how to seize the day.

4 comments:

  1. I'll be checking out for more updates. thanks a lot and a job well done for you!
    practice for gre
    free gre test

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have another website in concern which has all the information like MBA in abroad unibersities, business education News, Exams and Results, E - Books, Campus Placements, visa Counseling, GRE / TOEFL, SAT, GMAT & Many More
    why sat
    sat syllabus

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is nice post, Thank you provide important information. I have read the post and it's very useful to me.

    water sports in goa

    scuba diving in goa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a lot for this amazing article. I have read the post and it's very useful to me.

    flyboarding in goa
    kayaking in goa

    ReplyDelete