Thursday, August 12, 2010

New #32: Deliver a Baby

So what did you do last night? Watched a movie? That's nice. Me? I helped bring a life into the world. You know, helped one of my best friends deliver her baby.

That's pretty much how my morning conversation went at work one day last week.

Yes, it was as crazy as it sounds. Yes, it was pretty gross at time. But no, I'm not traumatized. And yes, I'm very happy it was something I got to experience.

Even during the planning stages, the whole scenario was pretty far-fetched, like something that would never really happen. Amy - who's been my college roommate, bridesmaid and bestie for years - was about eight months pregnant when she asked me her just-in-case question. Her husband Charlie was going out of town on business three weeks before she was due. If for some unimaginable reason she went into labor while he was gone, would I please help her in his place? I was definitely honored by the request, which I took more as a kind gesture or formality than something I would actually have to do. Charlie was only going to be gone three days, after all.

Soon his trip arrived, and by the the third day I was certain I was in the clear. No baby duty for Sarah. Then, at about 6 p.m., I got the call. It was Amy, and it was time. Ahhh! I grabbed my camera (like any good husband would), jumped in the car and sped across town. Amy was surprisingly calm for someone in labor, which helped calm me down. She assured me Charlie was already on the plane coming home. Perfect! I'd just get her settled into the hospital, maybe feed her some ice chips and rub her feet, before Charlie would burst through the door and take it from there. Maybe I'd see the baby after it was born the next day. How wrong I was.

As soon as we got Amy into her room things really started to pick up. When she was screaming in pain a few minutes later, I knew my neatly wrapped plan was out the window. Sure enough, just before 9 p.m. Amy's feet were up in the stirrups, and I was holding her leg with a front row seat at the delivery show.

Here's where I won't go into details. Anyone who's been through a delivery knows what to expect -- and anyone who hasn't doesn't need to know what really goes on. Trust me. I will say, there was a lot of pushing, yelling, encouraging words, blood and squirting. Yeah.

While the scene was somewhat, well, horrific, it was all worth it the first time that little baby took a breath and let out a cry. It's amazing how the atmosphere of the room could suddenly shift from one of pain and worry to one of such complete joy. After we realized his gender (a little boy), everyone in the room was crying -- except baby Jack, who was already calmly settled into his new world.


I followed Jack while he got cleaned up by the doctor and nurse, and took lots of pictures, of course. Then I followed him over to him mom, when Amy got to hold her son for the first time. Again, for anyone who's been there, I don't need to explain what that moment was like.


Amy and Jack



Charlie arrived at about 11 p.m., when he got to see his wife and baby calm, clean and happy. Amy and I think he lucked out with that one, skipping the gore and going straight to the glory.

That night, I got home in time for bed. The three hour labor fit quite nicely into my schedule. When I got to see Jack again the next day, I knew we'd always have a special connection. Just like a baby duck bonds with the first thing it sees, Jack and I are connected. He's my little duckling.



1 comment: