Tuesday, August 17, 2010

New #33: Become a Hostess

This new is definitely a sign of the times. Belts are tightening, cash is strapped, cliches are rampant and times are tough. So with big dreams and a tiny bank account, I decided I needed a second job to help make my life a little easier and my goals a bit more attainable. And I wanted this second job (which is actually a sixth job, if you count my work with eBay, secret shopping, freelancing and plasma donation in addition to my work at the newspaper) to be easy. My sister recommended I try hostessing at a restaurant. While I wouldn't call it totally easy, it is definitely manageable and a nice change of pace.

Last week I set out on a mission to give my resume to all the nice restaurants in town. Not only would this be a better work environment, but I figured they'd pay more, too. After hitting up four joints, my last stop was one I'd debated even going for: a Japanese steakhouse. Right away I was whisked inside by an Asian with a thick accent. About 15 minutes later, I walked out with a job. Coming home that night, Ben was definitely surprised. "Only you could go out in the middle of a recession and come back less than two hours later with a job." What can I say? I guess it was meant to be.

I ended up getting one other job offer but decided to stick with the steakhouse. It's literally right across the street from my house. Plus all the employees are really fun and easy going. The owners, however, are not. During my initial interview, I was asked a few times "If a customer yells at you, will you cry?" and "Will you cry if I yell at you?" I said no, wondering why they were so curious about my emotional stability. It was during my first shift I found out why they emphasized this point so much. One waiter told me that within his first few months of working there, he's seen the owner break down three girls and one guy into tears. This is also the same boss who doesn't really bother to learn women's names, and instead calls everyone Holly. Yup.

But so far, I've had a few shift and haven't had any problems with the management. Actually, the job is pretty laid back. My first few hours of each shift are spent answering the phone, joking around with the waiters and waitresses, and eating dinner (did I mention they feed us?). It really only gets crazy for little 5 minute spurts at 6, 6:30 and 7. The rest of the time I'm hanging out. Even when it is busy I'm dealing with customers, which I actually enjoy.

At the end of each night my feet hurt a bit and I smell like meat, but I have a few extra bucks in my account. The job, which is fairly fun in itself, is a small price to pay for some financial freedom.

1 comment:

  1. If those boss start to abuse you, get them to say the wrong thing and take hem to court. It just takes one sexist comment. If not, violence isn't usually the answer but in some cases . . . Anyway, best of luck at the new job!

    ReplyDelete