Monday, October 18, 2010

New #42: Save the Dolphins

I've never been one of those in-your-face environmental activists. PETA, for example, scared me away long ago when it suggested Ben and Jerry's start using women's breast milk instead of cow's milk for their ice cream. Not the kind of organization I want my name next to. Instead, I've always done my part for the earth silently and solo by recycling, turning off lights and snipping the plastic rings that hold a six-pack of soda.

Then I watched "The Cove." It's a documentary about the semi-secret slaughter of dolphins in a Japanese fishing village. And it was horrifying. Basically, these fishermen coral hundreds of dolphins at a time into a little cove, where they then spear each and every one of them until the sea is literally a blood bath. Watching it made me sick to my stomach.

The entire movie was very one-sided, which I don't usually buy in to. But it was hard to argue with the images shown. And personally, I just don't think stabbing to death thousands of dolphins each year is right. So I made it a mission to help save the dolphins.

Luckily, the Save Japan's Dolphins initiative made it easy for this Colorado landlubber. To start, I was able to donate some money to the cause. It wasn't much, but more than anything it showed my support and backing.

Next, I signed a petition to stop the slaughter, which will apparently be sent to the President and all other sorts of dignitaries. The Internet makes things so easy! All I had to do was fill in my name and basic info, write a little note, and click "submit" to sign my digital signature.

Step three for me was getting the word out, say, through a blog. So here is more info about the cause and how you can help. Also, make sure and see "The Cove" for yourself.

One last note: the movie also inspired next week's new: Vegetarianism.

No comments:

Post a Comment